Okay KAC Fashionistas, hold on to your Maison Michel fedoras, because I have a very special surprise for you today!
Behind each magnificently-crafted Kathryn Allen Couture handbag, there is one incredible woman running the show. She’s dedicated, passionate about all things fashion and she makes the Energizer Bunny look like a total slacker. On top of it all, she’s nice. And when I say nice, I mean she’s the kind of person who goes far out of her way to help others in all situations.
Today, we are sitting down with Kathryn Allen for a fun-filled Q&A that had both of us rolling with laughter as we went through the interview. Grab a cup of coffee, and get to know the darling who created the Annabelle!
Now, on to the questions!
1. So, I hear you love fashion! There are a lot of interesting and eclectic trends hitting the runways right now. Do you have any current favorites?
I have an ongoing obsession with Gucci, and I may need fashion therapy to survive the current collection. I have actually lost sleep over Gucci’s latest runway pieces! One of my favorite past collections is Chanel’s Cuba collection. Havana, Cuba is one place that I have yet to visit, but I dream of traveling there. I am ever-inspired by the history, vibrant architecture and preservation of retro touches.
2. If someone were to create a Kathryn Allen cartoon, what would her permanent uniform be? (Besides an Annabelle, of course!)
The cartoon version Kathryn Allen would live in her sparkling Gucci Marmont pumps, a Chanel necklace, my favorite leather leggings from ASOS and a structured Balmain blazer. Also, the Annabelle would be adorned with a precious Fendi charm, of course.
3. A little birdy told me that you enjoy getting crafty every now and then. Do you have any pieces in your closet that you’ve deconstructed to give them that classic Kathryn Allen touch?
I am about to begin work on customizing a very special coat with a unique pearl fastening. I’ll share the results on Instagram when it’s complete!
4. As someone with an eye for design and a great individual style, what would you say are the 5 most important pieces that every woman MUST have in her wardrobe?
Every woman should own a strand of pearls (real or faux), fabulous pumps, a perfectly fitted blazer, a pair grey jeans and a beautifully constructed coat that will last year after year.
5. You are the definition of #GirlBoss. What items in your closet always give you the confidence to take on the world?
The KAC Annabelle, of course! There is no better feeling than holding your essentials in a beautifully-made handbag.
When I go on a date with my wonderful husband, I love feeling fabulous in an exceptionally fitted LBD and chic heels.
A few of my other favorite confidence-boosting pieces are a beautiful leather jacket, a Maison Michel fedora and a special vintage piece.
6. If you had to strut your stuff on the runway for a designer’s show, who would you choose and why?
I would choose the amazing Zang Toi. I had the opportunity to meet him at a trunk show just a few years back, and his energy and passion for his work instantly filled me with inspiration. He is so in touch with his work, and each of his pieces truly are works of art. The detail of his fashion is unbelievable, and I cherish the Zang Toi masterpiece creations I have in my wardrobe.
7. Let’s say you had a run in with a fashion wizard, and they cast a very stylish spell on you, turning you into an item of clothing or an accessory. What would you turn into? What brand would you be?
I would absolutely transform into a Fendi Charm. You can call me, Kathryn-Lito!
8. Word on the street is that you’re a professional shopper in your spare time. What are some of your tips for staying comfortable and focused while shopping?
I have endless advice on the topic of shopping! Here are a few of my essential tips for your next shopping adventure:
• Always follow your instincts. If your gut says buy it—do it. If your gut says to wait—hold off.
• Have fun with trends, but focus more on investing in the classics. Build a collection of well-made items you can wear season after season. You want to have items that will work with your lifestyle and the evolving trends.
• Never be afraid to mix high-and-low fashion! A luxurious handbag can elevate those $30 Zara jeans to a new level.
• Don’t exceed your fashion budget trying to keep up with trends. It can be easy to go overboard, so shop consciously.
• If you want to indulge without breaking the bank, research reputable resell shops to find the luxury fashion you desire.
• Find a Sales Associate at your favorite shops, and build a relationship with them. Not only will they appreciate your loyalty, but they will let you know about exclusive sales and store rewards. Plus, they’ll let you know about new releases that fit your style!
9. Last but not least, if you had to wear one item of clothing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I would have to choose a comfortable T-Shirt that is well made and will last for endless seasons.
Interviewing Kathryn for this Q&A was such a joy! One may have certain notions in their mind about what it’s like to meet a luxury handbag designer. I can say with much experience that Kathryn’s greatest passion is inspiring fashion fans of all ages. She’s down to earth, caring and she could certainly pick up a side job as comedian.
Do you have any questions to ask Kathryn Allen? Leave them in the comments below, or connect with us on Instagram!